Over the course of his rabbinical training, Rabbi Leib Tropper of New York City attended some of the nation’s leading yeshivas, including the Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia and the Rabbinical College of Telshe near Cleveland, Ohio. He discusses the latter institution below.
Established in the Lithuanian city of Telšiai, the Rabbinical College of Telshe was founded by three prominent Orthodox rabbis and Talmudists to serve the region’s young Jewish men. In the years following its establishment, the yeshiva underwent rapid expansion to accommodate increased demand. In the 1920s and 1930s, the Rabbinical College of Telshe added a preparatory school, a post-graduate institution, and The Yavneh Teacher’s Training Institute for men and women. During World War II, the yeshiva closed down following the Soviet Union’s occupation of Lithuania, and the school’s rabbis at the time decided to relocate the institution and its students to American soil. Eventually finding their way to Ohio, they reopened the Rabbinical College of Telshe in the Cleveland suburb of Wickliffe in 1941.
Today, the not-for-profit yeshiva maintains accreditation with the state of New York. The Rabbinical College of Telshe is comprised of a secondary school, an undergraduate college, and a post-graduate program.